As part of the regular curriculum which is aligned with the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards, Cherry Street staff works tirelessly to provide activities and lessons which will engage all students. Extra help is provided for at-risk students through RTI intervention and our Extended Day Programs which address skills which may need to be remediated.
Our Extended Day Programs at Cherry Street School provide students with both remediation and enrichment activities in reading and math. The following are just some of the activities in which our students are involved:
- 21st Century
- Bilingual Homework Club
- Safety Patrol
- Cooking Club
- Karate Club
- Newspaper Club
- Gifted and Talented
- Cherry Street is a participant with various community groups in a 21st Centry Community Learning Centers grant through the Cumberland County Empowerment Zone. 21st Century is open to all students in grades 5 through 8.
- Sixth through Eighth graders can participate in intramural athletics.
- Our students have access to some of the best technology available with classroom computer learning centers and a state-of-the-art computer lab.
- All of our classrooms are equipped with an interactive whiteboard which enhances the student's 21 century skills.
- The guidance department provides individual, small group and classroom lessons and counseling to help students grow emotionally and socially.
- Students are recognized for their achievements through incentive programs such as the Honor Roll and Principal's List, Attendance and Citizenship Awards, Students of the Month, Honor Roll Celebrations, Parade of Champions, Academic Excellence Banquet, and the Junior Honor Society.
- Students in grades K-8 participate in an annual field day, where activities such as face painting and organized competitions are enjoyed.
- Student Government performs two community service projects a year.